Thursday, April 8, 2010

Waiting for The Great Leap Forward

I have this show coming up May 8th Ballston Arts Craft Market it' s every second Saturday of the month for 10 to 4. Come and visit.

The thing is I'm not selling soap, I'm selling Grumpys. This means a whole new booth thingy. Tomorrow I have to drag the Ez Up out and make sure it's not moldy. I went to Target and got some cute, bright bowls and such and these cheap, cool tablecloths.

The big quandary was how to display the stuffies. I want people to be able to pick them up without feeling like they are gonna knock everything over and reaching over it never good. Stuffies are not as well behaved as soap though. Putting them in neat rows and walking away just doesn't work.

So I found a shoe storage thing, you know, the over the door ones? Turns out all the Cupcake Eaters fit right in. It also turns out I have a lot less cupcake eaters then I thought. So, um. Yeah.

My thinking (as it is) is that I can hang these from the bar. I have walls (walls are your best friend at craft shows) so i don't have to worry about the blowing about. It's a big 10 by 10 tent.
I'm going to have to break down and set it ALL up this weekend for a trail run. I'll post pics then.

I think it's gonna be pretty damn nifty.

Now somehow I'm going to do this, make soap, make stuffies, raise a child, keep a sort of tidy house and work on two websites and two stores? Oh, three. Oh, and the dogs.

It's too much. So, what I have decided to do is leave Etsy. For all the reasons anyone reading this blog is more then likely aware of. I just can't keep giving money to a venue that I feel has no integrity.

At this point, I'm close to becoming that friend who is always calling you about her boyfriend but never breaks up with him.

Yeah, Etsy, not my boyfriend and I don't want to be that girl. You know "Fool me once, you're an asshole."

If I'm not going to be found, I'd like to at least not pay for the privilege. So I'm going to stay on Zibbet and work on my site along with some other ventures. I am going to actually promote (I know, shocking) locally and try and get established that way.

I'd LOVE to have a little store but that isn't going to happen any time soon. On of the things about the net is you can't just close the door and you can't decide who comes in your shop. I'm kinda weary of the drama and the random blogs slamming someone for something because they think so or whatever.

I'm tired of fretting over feedback, well, I don't really, but I don't like being at the mercy of a sock, the airing of petty disputes and BNA threads. It's a huge energy suck and you know, it doesn't HAVE to be part of being a seller.

I'd like to be up and really running end of May. I'll let my listings run out since they are paid for, but I'm pretty much done. Hopefully Zibbet will have a real forum by then so we can all continue to enjoy each others company.

SO that's where I am and why I'm not where I usually can be found. It just seems like it's time to fish or get off the pot or walk talking or whatever. If I have to learn all this SEO what not, I'm going to channel it in a way that makes sense.

I have to put energy into something worthwhile so when I log off and realise the laundry is in piles and the kid isn't washed and the dogs are hungry, at least I know it was time well spent.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Holly. Do what is best for YOU! Because that is what matters more than anything else. I hope your craft show stuff goes well. I'll be looking forward to the pics. I've never done a craft show of any kind. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been oddly liberating,lol. I think it's like when you get so mired in something and then take a step back and go WTF?

    I stayed on Etsy because of the friendship in the forum, That isn't dependant on Etsy, really. I checked back today and it's the same garbage, same Admin bullshit same 'not out fault' crap.

    I just don't think it's going to change and if it does, I don't think it's going to change into something I want to be part of.

    All traffic is, is a bunch of people. There's an awful lot of people out there, you know?

    ReplyDelete